dist-git proof of concept phase 1 complete

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 09:49:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 07:21:19PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> In my effort to create a proof of concept for using git to manage our
> package source control, I have completed what I am calling phase one,
> that is taking our current dist-cvs and converting it into git format.
>
> pkgs/rpms/<package>/devel is now the git origin/master.  All release
> subdirs have been turned into git branches.  History back to F7, as well
> as the EPEL branches have been converted, from a snapshot of the CVS
> tree I took last week.

Why not put everything in a single git repository?

Also git remote branches are quite painful, requiring non-obvious
changes to .git/config or hard to use commands.  I'd rather do this
once (for an everything-in-one-repository model) than for every single
package I maintain.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/