x86-64 on i386 (was Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Dec 15 20:24:59 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> said:
> But again, Apples to Oranges. x86_64 (we should formally call it "Intel
> 64", or similar, since I'm not aware of x86_64 having a formal blessing)

"Intel 64" has no "formal blessing" either (it is Intel's marketing name
for their copy of AMD's instruction set).  If you want to call it after
a vendor, it should be "AMD 64" anyway, since AMD created it.  They
called it "x86-64" (which is where the "x86_64" name came from), until
marketing got in the way and they changed to "AMD 64".

"Intel 64" is confusing anyway, since Intel has pushed multiple 64 bit
architectures.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>