packages requiring me to reboot...

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Wed Dec 16 17:08:16 UTC 2009

On 12/16/2009 09:51 AM, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Peter Jones wrote:
>
>> On 12/16/2009 11:43 AM, Seth Vidal wrote:
>>> you're an experienced user? You're comfortable knowing what does and
>>> what does not require a reboot? Then why are you using PK?
>>>
>>> Disable pk and do the updates directly via yum.
>>>
>>> Bam - no more requests to reboot.
>>
>> I get what you're saying, and it's kindof a fair point, but there's also
>> some utility to having the system automatically, proactively notify you
>> of updates.
>
> And you can do that. Just don't have pk DO the update.
>
> There are lots of ways to get notifications of updates not using PK in
> the system.
>
> And again, we're not talking about for the default everyday user.
>
> we're talking about the experienced user who is comfortable knowing what
> does and does not need a reboot.
>
> All I'm saying is - we've not taken away any option, the experienced
> user can do what they want.

yeah, I totally get what you mean. I just feel like there are more and
more reboot requests because that is easier. Obviously I know when/if I
need to reboot based on what I'm running. However I'm questioning the
number of packages requesting a reboot I guess.

Maybe this is a feature that needs to be addressed in the rpm layer or
something so that upgrades can have multiple effects with regards to
needing a reboot. I'm not sure how PK gets the request to reboot from a
package, but I'm wondering about it. For example, why aren't some of the
packages simply a 'log out of X', or 'restart app', or ??? PK could
provide that information. However, as it stands, if firefox is updated,
I would (under the current way this seems to work) fully expect it to
ask for my system to reboot, instead of closing FF and starting it
again. I'm not sure if it does or not, but it seems like a package
basically has complex upgrade issues, so we reboot. Are there other tags
packages can have other than reboot? Should there be? etc etc..

I am an advanced user, and manage a handful of servers and workstations,
so yes I don't have to reboot. I'm just wondering about the reboot
'feature' usage patterns I'm seeing.

--
Nathanael