packages requiring me to reboot...

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Wed Dec 16 21:30:00 UTC 2009

On 12/16/2009 03:43 PM, Otto Haliburton wrote:

> windows update will automatically reboot your system when it automatically
> updates it windows tried the optional stuff but now almost every case it requires a
> restart.

Even when it asks, it does that with a modal focus-grabbing dialog
window. I was once working on an important server, and was about to
click OK on one of my dialog boxes, when a windows update confirmation
popped up conveniently located so that my click went to IT, rebooting
the server.  The queen was not amused.

HOWEVER, just because Windows suck doesn't mean that Linux should suck
too. My own preference would be a more discriminating dialog
that offers three possibilities: 'do nothing', 'bounce the
service/application' and 'reboot'.