packages requiring me to reboot...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 18 10:28:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 04:11 -0600, Otto Haliburton wrote:

> you don't follow the list very well, and obviously didn't read the post that
> this replies to so don't go around calling people inconsistent.  Windows
> forces you to reboot and there is no mandatory reboots in Linux and windows
> does force you to restart, don't restart when it ask you and see what
> happens, it will not continue without insisting that you restart.  Where do
> you get this crap?  With windows you cannot avoid a restart. And there is no
> auto-restart in windows it is auto-update and with auto-update you have no
> choice it will restart for you. Try it then tell me about it.

You're arguing from different starting points, and there's no need to be
uncivil about it. Shmuel's point is that you can disable automatic
updates on Windows (which is quite true), and hence you won't then be
forced to restart until you manually choose to install the updates.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey