Mass rebuild for F13?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Dec 21 15:52:03 UTC 2009

On Dec 21, 2009, at 4:38, Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 07:03:13AM -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>> It would be nice if you folks add these little explanations as
>>> comments next to the patches of the gcc SPEC file. (this is also a
>>> packaging requirement [1]).
>>
>> 1) gcc-4.4-RH has its own svn branch in upstream repository, so the
>>   src.rpm contains only very few patches, most of the changes are
>>   simply committed to the svn branch.  svn commit logs contain
>>   all relevant info.
>> 2) the patches (~ 20) that are left have comments in their bodies,
>>   rather than in the spec file, which is much more maintainable.
>>

> Yeah, those comments in the patches are quite informative, like
> "libtool sucks".
>
> Seriously, this "comment about the patch in the specfile" is a
> packaging requirement, not a personal request.

With git style patches (and others) where there is lots of context and
info in the patch file itself, duplicating it into the spec file is
rather pointless. Let's have some thinking about the guidelines
instead of blind following. The guideline is there so that we don't
just have raw diffs without any context.

--
Jes