packaging a static library

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 11:25:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> Well, I disagree: If they want to use "their auditied version", they haven't
> understood how open source works. They qualify as jerks who prefer to use
> proprietary forks instead of "paying back" to "upstream" and the wider
> user-base.

Um - the audited version is just frozen. It's not hidden, it's not
proprietary, and it would be nice if you look at things before calling
people jerks.

TomsFastMath ( http://tfm.libtomcrypt.com/ ) has been a public FOSS
project for a while, it is packaged in a number of distros (FreeBSD
seems to carry a version, Debian has it, etc). The special "frozen"
version we carry is publicly available in our git repo, and AFAIK the
upstream author was 100% involved in our audit process. The results
are definitely openly available too. So put down the pitchfork
already.

Let's focus on the important bit: we need a frozen version of a
library (that, btw, is useful, and is not in Fedora yet :-) ). What's
the best practice for that? I don't see why we'd need to embed it
statically anywhere (except OFW of course).

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions