RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Sat Feb 7 15:25:17 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Dimi Paun wrote:
>
>> These sort of things may make sense for some users,
>> but not by sneaking them in as changes in default
>> behavior. Prompt them at first-boot, let them opt in.
>
>> Come on folks, it is the reasonable thing to do.
>
> No.  Shoving all sort of configuration changes to first-boot is
> definitely the wrong thing to do. The change has already been done. Time
> to move on and stop arguing about this.
>
> Rahul

I turned off the blink and actually prefer it this way.  One issue I
haven't seen discussed is that if the text cursor is blinking, then it's
invisible about half the time, so one has to stare at the window for
some period of time, averaging maybe a second, to locate it.  If the
text cursor is non-blinking, then it can always be seen immediately, so
there's probably a productivity gain for the user.

I should mention also that there appears to be a bug in that even after
the blinking is disabled, occasionally I'll see my gnome-terminal text
cursor blinking anyway.  It doesn't happen often, but twice I've seen
the blinking (once on each of two machines), then checked
System/Preferences/Hardware/Keyboard to verify that it was disabled.
After doing this, I noticed that the text cursor was no longer blinking.
  These machines were fully updated.