Fedora EOL Security Updates

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Sun Feb 8 00:05:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 12:04 -0600, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> How is this going to be different than the destined for failure Fedora
> Legacy project?
>
> You have experience and history working against you here. Remember what
> they say about forgetting history...just in case you forgot, from:
>
>   http://www.fedoralegacy.org/
>
> Q. Why is the FedoraLegacy project shutting down?
> A. A combination of reasons:
>
>     * A lack of community members who actually contributed to patches,
>       testing, deployment, etc.
>     * A lack of funding
>     * A decreasing amount of interest
>     * Interest/Discussion about extending the Fedora Core lifetime
>

> Without a substantial commitment in terms of bodies and time, you will
> at best be in a position to update only a subset of packages. What good
> is that and how will that compare to the expectations that you are
> trying to set?
>
> I don't understand why people keep wanting to turn Fedora into something
> that it is not.
>
> If people want long term support, use Ubuntu LTS, RHEL or CentOS. It is
> an intrinsic paradox to want Fedora to be both a bleeding edge
> distribution AND have long term support for old releases. There are only
> so many resources to go around.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc Schwartz

I'll grant that I've not been involved with Fedora nearly as long as
everyone else here, but I don't understand why, just because something
failed before, it cannot be tried again?  This is just a request for
help, it's not an official policy?  What's the use in shooting it down?
The Fedora project is, as I understand it, driven but what the community
wants.  So, if a segment of the community wants something, no matter how
small, why fight it?  I don't see any request for official resources
from anyone.  If someone wants to help, then go right ahead.

One or more failures in the past cannot mean that we cannot try again.
This is surely not the precedent we want to set, is it?

I think the intention amongst the Fedora-EOL team right now is to just
lengthen support, at least for security, by one or two releases.  This
is not an attempt at offering LTS for Fedora at this time.  This is what
I've gleaned from within #Fedora-EOL.  I hardly think that's
unreasonable.

If this grows, _naturally_, into something akin to LTS, maybe by 2
years, why would anyone complain?  Let it fail if you think it will.
How many successful projects were built upon myriad previous failures?

Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
www.basilgohar.com