We are different: kernel changelog

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 14:50:15 UTC 2009

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 12:50:13PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> Looking at
>>
>>   rpm -q --changelog kernel|less
>>
>> one can observe that all kernel maintainers, who added %changelog entries
>> recently, no longer add the package EVR as required by the guidelines:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Changelogs
>>
>> Why?
>
> Dunno, but if we want to enforce this guideline, we could really do with
> some rpm macro that can be added to koji's build macros, to make RPM
> exit with error if e-v-r is missing from changelog. Sure RPM lint warns
> about this, but it really ought to be easy enough for RPM itself to treat
> this is compulsory if we want it to be that way.

I think we usually try to have them for kernels built for a released
distro. Seems we're falling down on that at the moment though.

For rawhide, its a bit messy and most folks don't want to waste time
from working on code to figure out how to determine the EVR of the hour
(granted, yes, 'make verrel' and add one to the appropriate place is all
it is...). A fair number of rawhide updates are done in a scripted
fashion, guess we could add logic to the script to include an EVR.

But really, blocking builds for this? Please no. Worst-case, for
rawhide, something close to the verrel is typically in there, since our
VR fields match up pretty closely to upstream.

--jarod