We are different: kernel changelog

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 15:59:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 12:50 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Looking at
>
>   rpm -q --changelog kernel|less
>
> one can observe that all kernel maintainers, who added %changelog entries
> recently, no longer add the package EVR as required by the guidelines:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Changelogs
>
> Why?

Partly because the kernel's %revision is autogenerated from the CVS
revision number of the file, so you can't know it just by reading the
file.  And partly because no editor I know of is smart enough to figure
it out based on the macros.  vim's changelog generation, for example,
gives me:

* Mon Feb 09 2009 Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> 2.6.%{upstream_sublevel}-0.%{fedora_build}%{upstream_branch_tag}%{?buildid}%{?dist}

Which is not what I'd call "right", thought it could certainly be better
and at least fill in the macros it does know.

In principle you could come up with something that examines the output
of 'make verrel' and tries to guess what the next RCS ID will be.
Patches gratefully etc.

- ajax