Reconnectable X - improve desktop reliability

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Tue Feb 17 18:01:14 UTC 2009

I have searched around, but I haven't been able to find out whether anyone
has managed to make an X server which was reconnectable by the applications
talking to it.

What I mean is that it would be nice to have all the existing applications
carry on running if X dies underneath them. They could then connect to a new
server when it became available.

Perhaps this is an application rather than X.org issue. Perhaps some sort of
simple layer could sit between the apps and the server to solve the
reconnection.

Could someone with some knowledge of how this works comment on whether this
would be feasible?

It would really help Fedora reliability if the desktop could survive X
crashes. It would also allow the possibility of disconnecting an X session
and reconnecting it later (I know vnc and nx allow this sort of thing).

Thanks

Jeremy

--
http://jeremysanders.net/