Reconnectable X - improve desktop reliability

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Tue Feb 17 18:56:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 18:01 +0000, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> I have searched around, but I haven't been able to find out whether anyone
> has managed to make an X server which was reconnectable by the applications
> talking to it.
>
> What I mean is that it would be nice to have all the existing applications
> carry on running if X dies underneath them. They could then connect to a new
> server when it became available.
>
> Perhaps this is an application rather than X.org issue. Perhaps some sort of
> simple layer could sit between the apps and the server to solve the
> reconnection.
>
> Could someone with some knowledge of how this works comment on whether this
> would be feasible?
>
> It would really help Fedora reliability if the desktop could survive X
> crashes. It would also allow the possibility of disconnecting an X session
> and reconnecting it later (I know vnc and nx allow this sort of thing).

Along the same line but perhaps more interesting than 'reconnectable' X
would be 'reroutable' X, where you could redirect output from a local
display to a projector (Star Trek: "On ViewScreen!"). This can be done
with proxies or double-rendering, but it would be interesting to try it
at the toolkit level.

-Chris