Package review request: OpenBSD calendar(1) command

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 18 19:46:46 UTC 2009

Eric Sandeen wrote:
> I mean, "cat" is short for "concatenate" which some future concatenation
> utility may also wish to use.  Not only is "concatenate" a very common
> word, "cat" is a very simple abbrevation which may clash with "catalog"
> or "categorize" - Shall we also change its name?  Where does this stop?

In an attempt to derail this from getting out of hand... 'cat' is
specified by POSIX. Things that implement POSIX-specified functionality
have a clear exception to using "common" names, since they are REQUIRED
to use such names in order to achieve their purpose (i.e. implementing
the POSIX-specified utility).

Something else wanting to use 'cat' could do so iff it implemented POSIX
cat, in which case were it to be accepted, it would need to use
alternatives to coexist with GNU coreutils 'cat'. This, however, is not
the same as the situation under discussion.

> p.s. /usr/bin/the-utility-formerly-known-as-calendar does have a certain
> ring to it though I suppose.

$0.02: "bsdcal", calendar-ob", etc.

--
Matthew
"Nobody expects the traditional Bourne shell!"