add a special Provides: to all login manager packages

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Feb 19 05:38:25 UTC 2009

Colin Walters wrote:
> I forgot to point out in an earlier message that there is precedent
> for setting up barriers for low-level software, namely the Fedora 3rd
> party kernel driver policy:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelDriverPolicy

I actually still don't see why we're banning separate kernel module packages
even if they're under a GPLv2-compatible license. Useful stuff like kqemu
with no license or patent issues is being forced into RPM Fusion purely
because of the combination of the above policy and the ban on
separately-packaged kernel modules. This also causes problems with getting
the modules out at the same time as the new kernel which would just not
happen if they were in Fedora and got pushed out with new kernels in
grouped updates. The #1 rationale for banning kernel modules entirely
was "FESCo was rejecting most requests anyway, so it won't change much",
but the option of changing that fact, or even getting rid of the FESCo
approval requirement entirely, never even got considered.

        Kevin Kofler