Fedora 11 Mass Rebuilds

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Feb 25 07:18:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> writes:
>> On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 16:32 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>>> Can you say what it is?  I'm seeing this on my centos 5.2 mock host.
>
>> The rpm version on the host has to be able to support the larger file
>> checksums.  We have a special rpm built for our EL5 builders that
>> provides this.  I don't know if that rpm build is hosted anywhere out in
>> the open, I do believe Mitr built it for us.
>
> It's going to be quite a large problem if people can no longer use mock
> on an older system to test rawhide builds.  What is the plan to address
> this?

The strong file hashes are just the first messenger that got through, and
the message it brings is that it's time for people to wake up from the
sleep of last hundred, err, ten years and realize that rpm can and does
change. And yes it means older rpm versions can't always install packages
built by a newer rpm.

 	- Panu -