Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sun Feb 1 06:41:31 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> - K12Linux/thin client
>
> Some older thin client hardware is not i686 compatible. Warren has more
> info on this. One question I have is that some of this is mentioned
> as being Geode - wouldn't this fall into the same category as the XO?

Geode is a popular thin client chipset that continues to be sold today.
  VIA i586 without cmov was sold in thin clients until recently.
Anything older I do not care about.

> More info is on the feature page. Note that in the smolt stats, i586
> accounts for less than one twentieth of one percent of active systems,
> an order of magnitude less than PowerPC.

smolt stats are not coming from i586 machines because these are not the
same kind of Fedora installs.  It is inappropriate to enable smolt
reporting by default for several reasons including minimizing chroot
size, and read-only root makes it impossible to record that it shouldn't
report again during the next boot.

The statistics are not representative of the real world.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com