Validity of the CD size limit nowadays [Re: Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for]

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 17:03:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Jan Kratochvil
> <jan.kratochvil at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:57:50 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>> But our live images are already heavily size-constrained. There's definitely
>>> no room for multiple kernels on the KDE live image, and I don't think the
>>> GNOME image has any room left either.
>>
>> Was already discussed the requirement of CDs nowadays?  Even the oldest
>> computers already have DVD and I miss more a fully-featured LiveDVD 5GB spin.
>
> >From the desktop perspective I like having something around CD size
> since it keeps us focused, in terms of:
>
> * Even if someone can burn a DVD, it's a lot to download; keep in mind
> not everyone has fast Internet
> * Having higher quality software percentage wise
> * Not losing focus into developer tools, scientific analysis, creative
> tools, 3D games etc.  The desktop image is a desktop core.
> * Encouraging us to reduce technology duplication in that core set

That's the job of the spin maintainer to not include everything under
the sun just because it fits on the media.
(i.e only add apps that are useful for your spins target audience)

> The fact that it can be burned to a physical CD is a bonus.

Well the x86_64 images was sightly bigger than a CD anyway, so the
only bonus is the download size, but again only because it can be up
to 4.7GB size does not mean it has to use all this space.