RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Tue Feb 3 01:18:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 19:29 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> the point is most people won't care enough either way. And if we
> disable it then we save power on each machine.

I can speak from personal experience with customers that people care
about a blinking cursor. They are used to it, and when it goes away
they are upset.

> More power saved == less energy used == yay for the world.

The amount of energy used is minimal. This is not the way to go
about it. We should have a "Power Manager" that should have a
selector between:
   Min power     Default    Max performance

setting, and the "Min power" stuff should disable the cursor
for the people that care for the 1W.

Don't force this sort of stuff on people like that.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.