RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Andy Gospodarek gospo at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 04:17:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 03:05:20AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 09:34:45PM -0500, Dimi Paun wrote:
>
> > Besides, we seem to enjoy pain: nobody will appreciate a  non-blinking
> > cursor, yet we know _some_ will have a big problem with it. The only
> > people benefiting from it is the ones doing mental calculations about
> > trees saved. That's a tiny minority.
>
> I've spoken to several customers who find even single watt savings
> interesting. Claiming that they're in the minority is an unerified
> statistic - claiming that this change saves power is not.

And your implied claim that it's a majority is nothing more than
anecdotal as well.  In fact, I would even say the verification of your
wattage-savings is a bit of a guess based on the description I've seen
of your testing.

That being said, I'm all for power savings, so I think it's a great idea
and that it should be done.  I'm sure I'll type 'reset' a few times on
the console before I realize I've picked up the change and my cursor
isn't supposed to blink, but it won't be the end of the world.

-andy