Results of a test mass rebuild of rawhide-20090126 with gcc-4.4.0-0.9

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Feb 3 18:04:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 05:49:27PM +0100, Remi Collet wrote:
>>
>> It seems (googling) it's a issue with -march=i386
>> Any idea for this issue ?
>
> This will be magically fixed when koji switches to i586.rpm or i686.rpm
> packages.  g++ by default uses -march=i586 unless -march is specified,
> so the above only fails if you explicitly build with -march=i386.
>
> The reason for switch to i586.rpm (or i686.rpm) is primarily the __sync_*
> builtins, OpenMP #pragma omp atomic and the fact that for some years
> glibc*.i386.rpm doesn't support pre-i486 anyway, neither does libstdc++ nor
> libgomp, nor any statically linked programs.

This will help out Asterisk as well, which has a hack in the .spec
file to replace -march=i386 with -march=i486 to get support for the
atomic operations.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"