Too many unowned directories

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 3 19:03:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 13:22 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 13:21 -0500, James Antill wrote:

> > > It'd be possible to turn the topmost unowned directory into a file (well,
> > > directory) dependency. Either at build time, which would cause a big pile
> > > of new file dependencies in the metadata, or rpm could generate them at
> > > runtime. The problem with runtime generated dependencies is just that yum
> > > & the like wouldn't be able to resolve them without fairly big changes.
> >
> >  It'd be painful to have everything have a "Requires: /usr" (or
> > whatever) as it would make filelists mandatory for every update ... but
> > it would just work, with yum.
>
> Not that I'd suggest this but we _could_ add dirs to the primary
> filelist....

 I'm not sure that'd work well as you can't tell from just the path
whether it's a file or a dir.
 Much better to have something like dir(/usr) provides/requires, this
should then also work with apt-rpm/smart/whatever. But that could be
stage2, if we wanted to try it ... it still might bloat the primary a
bit, but maybe not much.

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
"I'd just like to see a realistic approach to updates via
 packages." -- Les Mikesell