Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Feb 3 19:27:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 19:29 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mardi 03 février 2009 à 11:44 -0500, Gregory Maxwell a écrit :
>
> > Most easily measured things (rsvg rendering, freetype) probably aren't
> > ever performance critical for typical users.
>
> You're very wrong about any codepath used to display text

+1, c'mon, outline font rasterization is the slowest thing a modern GUI
does, and it's doing it constantly. Everything else, such as line draws,
area fill, and blitting are accelerated to hell and back on pretty much
every video card made since 1993, thus I would bet on freetype being the
*most* performance critical bit of software in the GUI rendering
pipeline. (Can't do much about hardware speed other than buy better
hardware...)

SVG is also slow, but also not quite as common. Bitmaps (PNG, JPG) still
seem to dominate.

(And yes, font bitmaps are cached so it's not rasterizing every time
text is drawn, but still, my bet is on it being the biggest target for
optimization.)