RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 23:32:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
> I'm talking about any editor, not necessarily a terminal emulator.
> Just open a editor, create an email, etc.
Ah...gnome-calculator's cursor doesn't blink even when the line has focus.

> Why is it a good idea to treat terminals any different from any
> other editor waiting for your input?

That is an argument for consistency...not an argument for tradition.
I can most definitely support consistency. I'm not arguing that
terminals should be different than other apps.  If its worth taking
out the blinking cursor in the terminal its worth doing it it
consistently..assuming it saves power to turn off the blink as seen in
other places.

I find the blinking cursor to be redundant in applications like
abiword or firefox. As soon as an entry gains focus..the cursor shows
up. The presence of the cursor is itself indication that input is
accepted in that entry area...the blinking is not the primary
indicator..the cursor is.

-jef