Jakub's Recommendations for ia32 Support

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 23:45:14 UTC 2009

Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
> Just a note, I believe that the ia32 support should "concentrate" on
> netbooks (So Intel Atom), those are the only new things on the market
> that can't run x86_64, and the userbase of those will just grow and
> every percent of extra performance will make many people happy.

This is a silly notion.   Atom requires code to be built entirely
differently from all modern processors in order to get maximum
performance.  Code must be optimized for in-line performance.  Atom
target support hasn't even hit gcc-4.4 yet.

When it does though, I think a mini-repo of atom optimized core
libraries might make a difference for Atom users.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com