RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Feb 4 03:33:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 20:20 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> No.  Matthew already outlined exactly how he took his measurements.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-January/msg02387.html

The problem with this measurement is that it measures max wattage
when the cursor blinks. But for a typical user browsing, reading
documents, reading email, etc. the cursor blinks a tiny portion
of the time, only when they _write_ an email. I'd venture to say <10%.

If that is so we're looking at a saving of about 0.2W for a typical
user. Is this enough to flip the default?

Here's another proposal: during first boot prompt the user to
change the default to no-blink, explain the benefits, tell
them how to switch back if they don't care for it. This way
nobody will get frustrated or will be surprised their system
no longer works the way they expect it to.

I know it is more work, but this affects an important UI behavior.
If 0.2W is not all that important to justify the work, lets drop it.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.