Fedora tested in c't: grub missing feature

Pierre-Yves pingou at pingoured.fr
Wed Feb 4 07:56:02 UTC 2009

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> What defines a distribution? For fedora right now doesn't that pretty
> much comes down to checking the fedora-release package version in the
> installed rpmdb?
>
> We aren't going to be doing that sort of thing for slackware-esque or
> debian-esque or foresight-esque or gentoo-esque distros. We may be
> able to detect opensuse or other rpm based systems that
> way...maybe...if the rpm databases are compatible with the rpm we
> have.
Do we *need* to know what is the distro ?
Can't we just say that: we found others OS here and there do you want to
add them to the boot loader ?

If I understand that someone that install a linux beside its windows
might have no idea how Linux works (I was the first time I did it) and
guess someone that install several linux next to each other would have
some knowledge about what he is doing.

Regards,

Pierre