RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Wed Feb 4 13:47:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 08:51 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Brian Wheeler wrote:
> >> Sometimes traditions have good reasons - There are reasons why wheels
> >> are shaped round and not rectangular.
> >
> > Just as a nitpick, wheels are round for a technical reason, not because
> > of tradition.
>
> A matter of perspective. Some will say cursors are blinking for
> technical reasons.

Sure, but that's not the same.  A wheel is defined (at least by
wikipedia) as: a circular device that is capable of rotating on its
axis.  Does the definition of cursor require that it blink?

> E.g.
> * When using real terminals (or remote logins or runlevel 3), they often
> are the only indication of a system being alive or not.

As I posted elsewhere in this thread, my VT420 which is a real terminal
by any definition, doesn't blink the cursor.  Whether or not that was
its default or not I can't say since I've had it for years and I got it
second hand.

> * Certain applications apply multiple cursors. The active one often is
> blinking to highlight it.

Ok, fair enough.  How does this apply to terminals?

> Conversely: Most kids, at some point in their lifes will proudly present
> their parents the vehicle with triangular or rectangular wheels they
> assembled from LEGO kits or similar.

Ok, do the rectangular "wheels" do what a wheel traditionally does as
well as a circular wheel?  Nope, it doesn't...so there's a technical
reason why a wheel is circular:  it works.  Just because something is
called a wheel doesn't make it a wheel.

Honestly, I don't care either way, though I do like saving power on my
laptop.

Brian "My ancestors apparently were cart makers" Wheeler