RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 4 19:20:24 UTC 2009

James Antill wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 14:27 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 03 February 2009 at 12:44, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Ignore the power savings aspect just for a second.
>>>
>>> My television has a power on led below the screen. It blinks when the tv
>>> is starting up and when the remote control is used, both cases have a very
>>> clear and sane purpose. It does NOT blink while you're watching the tv,
>>> and for a good reason too.
>> Bad analogy. TV is non-interactive.
>
>  My TV is connected directly to a PS3 ... analogy win!

Um... no. That makes your TV even /less/ interactive than if you were
watching television (in which case you might change channels
occasionally). I don't interact directly with my monitor. I turn it on
and off via power strip, and my /computer/ makes it do stuff. I'm
interacting with the computer.

(I'm not going to get much involved in the topic at hand, as I've
decided it's not important enough to waste my time on. I will say,
however, that I turned on blinking caret in Konsole. I prefer my caret
to blink, as I find it easier to tell what has focus that way.)

(Oh, and I do prefer "caret"; not because it isn't a text cursor, but
simply because it's less ambiguous. Is "cursor" the text cursor or the
mouse cursor? ;-) )

--
Matthew
We interrupt this e-mail to bring you a lame signature attempting to be