Fedora tested in c't: grub missing feature

Thomas Bendler ml at bendler-net.de
Wed Feb 4 20:26:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/4 Thomas Bendler <ml at bendler-net.de>:
> > This is simply ignorant.
>
> I make absolutely no claim that I am anything more than supremely
> ignorant.  This is why i am asking questions. I don't know how to do
> it. I make no claim as to how to do it. I am saying that it is my
> understanding that right now our installer tastes for existing Fedora
> installs by looking for at the on system rpmdb.  If I'm wrong about
> that, please tell me how I'm wrong.

The ignorant statement was a reply to your comment above that statement
(which you delete in this reply) where you stated that there won't be a
rpmdb like thing for other distributions. Of course it make no sense to use
rpmdb for the detection of other distributions, not all distries use RPM,
this is the first blocking issue. Next thing is the RPM version thing which
could also block a detection. That is why I said use the filesystem.

Sadly you didn't provide anything close to an idea that was
> implementable.  "Look in the filesystem", isn't concrete enough. What
> in the filesystem is hallmark Mepis for example or hallmark Foresight?

Should I now explain for all hundred + distribution where a special file
exist ... only in this distribution and only in this version which could be
used for detection? You're kidding, aren't you? There are several files like
/etc/redhat-release, /etc/debian_version, /etc/lsb-release, ... which could
be used to determin the distribution. If not known or the installer is
unsure, simply add an unkown OS. But it is really not rocket sience to
figure out a distribution by only checking some files in the filesystem. At
least that should be sufficent to detect the major distributions by name and
some other by simply an unknown entry in GRUB.

Regards, Thomas