Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 4 20:42:52 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I wrote:
>> But our live images are already heavily size-constrained. There's
>> definitely no room for multiple kernels on the KDE live image, and I don't
>> think the GNOME image has any room left either.
>
> And I'll add to this that I think the real solution is to make the x86_64
> image the default download and the 32-bit image a separate link (maybe
> marketed primarily for netbooks). Most computers these days are 64-bit
> capable. (Almost all the new non-netbook computers are.)

Most *new* (non-netbook) hardware, sure. What about existing hardware?
Both my home machines are still 32-bit (one is not even 1 GHz CPU!).

> Running 32-bit
> userspace on a 64-bit kernel is just a kludge, we should be promoting pure
> 64-bit instead.

Didn't we just have the "32-bit is actually faster" discussion? Okay,
not true for x86, but the above statement still isn't entirely accurate.

That said, I do agree that running i686 on an x86_64 is a bit silly :-).

--
Matthew
We interrupt this e-mail to bring you a lame signature attempting to be