Fedora Project, give me 20 Million Euros or Free EDA software

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 4 22:14:07 UTC 2009

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> The code vs content old debate is totally misguided IMHO. We want more
> free code. We want more free content. We want more free <insert stupid
> classification>. We want to train our users to look for free <stuff>
> first, and not complain about our lack of support for something else.
>
> And the only way to get more free <stuff> (short of buying it to
> re-license it) is to ship it to reward people who create it with some
> public exposure. I would welcome a collection of music in the
> appropriate license and the appropriate formats¹.

I wouldn't. IMO Fedora is about software. Free /content/ should be
hosted on repositories that are set up for that purpose, similar to
wikimedia commons, in a way that makes it accessible to /all/ distros.
If Fedora wants to ship tools to integrate such repositories more
closely with Fedora, or to contribute to building such a repository, I
would support that effort, but I don't think it should be done in the
same repository as our software.

At the very least, yum/PK is not the right tool for browsing such a
repository.

--
Matthew
We interrupt this e-mail to bring you a lame signature attempting to be