Fedora tested in c't: grub missing feature

Thomas Bendler ml at bendler-net.de
Thu Feb 5 00:18:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/4 Thomas Bendler <ml at bendler-net.de>:
> > At least that should be sufficent to detect the major distributions by
> name and
> > some other by simply an unknown entry in GRUB.
>
> Define major distribution

Why? I might have a different view on what major distributions are compared
to other people. For me major distributions are RHEL, Fedora, Ubuntu, Novell
and Debian. But some people might think different, that's fine. All of the
distributions I've mentioned could be identified by /etc/lsb-release. If
someone else think: "Oh my favorit distribution is XY and could be
identified by /etc/blablabla!", fine, let's add it to the identification
routine and become a better OS ...

> Is Xandros and Linpus major distributions to you... they are the
> leading pre-installed distributions of linux by a wide wide margin if

Who cares? If they are leading distributions, someone will have a
installation of them and might be able to check how they can be identified.
If not, they are unkown distributions, that's also fine, the main thing is
they are detected and added to the GRUB menu after installation.

> you believe the press reports.  How do we identify those accurately?

This is not necessary. It is necessary to add an entry for those
distributions to GRUB during installation. If they are identified by a
correct name or by unkown distribution is completly unimportant. If someone
on the list has an installation of this distribution he might contribute the
relevant information.

Regards, Thomas