Fedora Project, give me 20 Million Euros or Free EDA software

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 12:48:22 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 22:57:59 Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 04 février 2009 à 16:45 -0600, Matthew Woehlke a écrit :
> > [...]
> > I'd rather see even fonts in a separate repo, as text descriptions are
> > not very meaningful to me deciding if I want to install a particular
> > font or not. (Plus it would make it easier to find Free fonts...)
>
> Sure, take the time to make the experiment, remove fonts, remove music,
> remove themes, remove images, and see how much stuff is still working or
> useful in your nice "software only" repository.

I think the idea of some kind of separate fonts repository, with the addition of
a browser (with sample images, perhaps even preview of a phrase entered by the
user) would be extremely useful - I've just been looking for fonts, and the
list provided by yum doesn't exactly make it easy to tell whether a particular
font package would be useful for my needs.

This need is partly answered by simply searching the existing font sites, then
finding one that's "free" and searching to see if there's a Fedora package, so
I'm not complaining about the "lack" ... but I think that's a good idea. Your
point that a core repo completely lacking all fonts and other content would be
somewhat crippled is also valid :o)

[ i.e. yes, I *am* grateful for your packaging work, and I am not for a moment
suggesting it doesn't "belong in Fedora" ... ]