2009-02-05 - Fedora Test Day - ext4 default fs

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 16:11:25 UTC 2009

Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:

> I'm in #fedora-qa right now, and I don't see anyone else in there.

78 people when I look!  (on freenode.net?)

> Anyway, I've actually been using ext4 since F9, and I've never had a
> problem.  I've actually done several of the test-cases in the course of
> using ext4, with the exception of the LVM ones, and I've never had a
> problem related to ext4.
>
> I also use ext4 on two external hard drives, one is SATA while the other
> is IDE, one through firewire (IDE) the other through USB (SATA), again,
> no filesystem problems whatsoever.  I formatted them both through
> gParted and through the command-line, and again, no problems.
>
> I realize this isn't exactly test-case scenario, but I suppose I was
> wondering if the tests might not need to be more nuanced...?

Yep the initial tests were all sort of install related; on the other
hand as far as I know all stock benchmarks/tests pass already (IBM tests
this in an automated framework), so to some degree I'm interested in
people using their own unique filesystem-intensive workloads, to see how
things fare.

However, any suggestions of things you'd like to see tested are welcome!

-Eric