Fedora Project, give me 20 Million Euros or Free EDA software

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 5 19:21:36 UTC 2009

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le jeudi 05 février 2009 à 13:00 -0600, Matthew Woehlke a écrit :
>> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>> However, to think we'll ever have a system where you can discover and
>>> understand what Fedora packages do without looking at upstream web sites
>>> is IMHO illusory. PK can at best show enough info to users to remind
>>> them what something they already knew of does.
>> Then *why* do you want to push content into Fedora when there is no gain
>> versus getting it from upstream?
>
> You're reading stuff I didn't write.

Am I? Let's see...

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/104434
"We want more free content."
"I would welcome a collection of music in the appropriate license and
the appropriate formats. That would enhance our music players. That
would make a collection of free art available to free game authors."

...and from your previous message (still quoted above):
"[T]o think we'll ever have a system where you can discover and
understand what Fedora packages do without looking at upstream web sites
is IMHO illusory."

If you don't know you want a piece of music without finding it upstream,
then there is no point in packaging it for Fedora. A piece of music does
not need to be "compiled" for Fedora or tracked by the package manager.
Once you've found it upstream, there is no benefit to going to yum to
download it; just download it from upstream.

Either you passionately disagree with the above statement, or we're
experiencing a massive communication breakdown.

--
Matthew
ELANG: input is in wrong language (please use English on English lists)