RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 09:43:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:53:48 -0500, Dimi wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 15:09 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > I fail to see how a solid cursor is that much harder to find than
> > a blinking one. Unless you're only entering solid boxes as text?
>
> There's a reason it's been like this in like ... forever.

What's the reason?

I could understand some of the opposition, if the cursor still were an
underscore character or a narrow line, both which would be difficult to
spot in a text editor. gEdit for example. A blinking insertion point is
easier to spot in such a case. In typical line-based terminal emulators,
where you cannot move the insertion point as freely as in text editors,
the blinking cursor box is unnecessary. It's distracting even, in
particular in terminals which don't wait for input because they are busy
executing something.

> On a busy X session (I typically have 30-40+ windows open)
> not having a blinking cursor is crazy.

The problem with your arguments is that you call something "crazy" without
explaining *what* would be crazy about it. Only one out of your 30-40+
windows would be active/selected and highlighted with different window
border colours.