[RFC] disable OSS sound support

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 15:03:29 UTC 2009

Currently we have:

CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE=y
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y

this cause the OSS compat modules to be loaded on every system (that
has sound), even thought most people do not require this (pure oss
apps aren't used that often).
If its really needed we have aoss and padsp to run such apps for
people that really needs them, without having this modules loaded on
every system running fedora.

Besides apps that just open /dev/dsp are unlikely to "just work" in a
default setup due to pulseaudio.

So my proposal is: Disable this options in rawhide (and those F11) and
add a note to the release notes that people can use padsp/aoss to make
oss apps working.