rpms/xorg-x11-drv-synaptics/F-10 xorg-x11-drv-synaptics.spec, 1.10, 1.11

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Feb 8 23:53:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 06:36:14PM -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > -%{_datadir}/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-synaptics.fdi
> > +%config(noreplace) %{_datadir}/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-synaptics.fdi
> [...]
> > %changelog
> > +* Mon Feb 09 2009 Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at redhat.com> 0.15.2-3
> > +- Don't overwrite the fdi file on update.
>
> Shouldn't users / admins be modifying corresponding fdi files in
> /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ rather than editing the packaged versions in
> %{_datadir}?  And if they do edit files in %{_datadir}, isn't it their
> problem if updates overwrite their changes? :)

Yeah, but unfortunately we've been telling ppl to just add their options in
the respective fdi file in /usr/share/hal/blahblah.
IMO, either way is wrong anyway, user's should need to edit hal's xml files
but rather be able to use tools to do so. So far, we don't have one yet and
I don't think we have a found a useful approach how to do so either. Any help
here would be appreciated.

For now, not overwriting the fdi files on a new install means we have less
bugreports about lost configuration.

Cheers,
  Peter