rpms/xorg-x11-drv-synaptics/F-10 xorg-x11-drv-synaptics.spec, 1.10, 1.11

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Feb 9 01:00:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 10:47:05AM +1000, Caius kaio Chance wrote:
> Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > F10 or rawhide?
> > Depending on your hardware, the rawhide version of synaptics may have enabled
> > two-finger scrolling instead of edge scrolling. If you don't want that, you
> > need to enable it explicitly through
> > Option "VertEdgeScroll" "on"
>
> So rawhide doesn't support VertEdgeScroll on single sensor touchpad by
> default?

It takes the defaults from what the hardware reports. If the hw reports that
it is capable of two-finger scrolling, then we enable said method, otherwise
we fall back to edge scrolling.

There was a kernel bug that all synaptics touchpads reported this capability,
this is fixed with 2.6.29. However, a similar issue may affect your specific
touchpad if it is covered by a different kernel driver.

There's a simple way to find out: look at the xorg log (search for synaptics)
and check what the device reports. For example, mine says:

(II) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: buttons: left right middle double triple

(I'm not running 2.6.29 ATM, so the double/triple is a lie)

Then run synclient -m (provided you have SHMConfig enabled) and it shows you
wether two-finger touches are actually reported.

Cheers,
  Peter