FLOSS Multimedia Support in Fedora

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 12:26:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 12:36 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Sunday, 08 February 2009 at 23:43, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > sorry for cross-posting but I wanted all interested parties to not miss
> > this email ;-)
> >
> > There has been some media related discussion in the -devel list and one
> > of the points I have taken form it is that we should promote FLOSS
> > multimedia and don't blame others for doing it (even if it's done in a
> > not ideal way)... Now, the problem is that the actual support of these
> > in our system is crappy. Out of the combinations of two FLOSS containers
> > (matroska and ogg) and two FLOSS video codecs (dirac and theora) I know
> > only one (ogg + theora) actually works in xine-lib (used by KDE4) which
> > is pathetic.
> >
> > So I created a wiki page (not sure what name space to use, so I put it
> > under my user page for starters) [1] which tracks the situation. I don't
> > have much time lately due to university duties, so I put there only
> > things I know of and didn't researched further. So if you know of any
> > FLOSS container, video or audio codec, feel free to add it there. Also
> > feel free to reference upstream bugs about the mentioned issues. The
> > videos used for reference testing are available at my fedora people page
> > [2].
>
> Big thanks for doing this and providing samples. How did you create them?
> I'm filing bug reports for FFmpeg problems as I write this. I hope they
> will get resolved in a timely manner.

I've taken two old photos, resized/croped them to PAL resolution
(720x576), added text in inkscape, created simple cross-fade effect
using gimp and finally encoded/muxed them in gstreamer using dirac buck
bunny makefiles as a starting point [1]. Theora options were
'quality=63' and schroedinger options were 'rate-control=0
noise_threshold=34'. Interesting thing I noticed was that the videos,
even when compressed losslessly using dirac, are slightly less sharp
than the original images [2].

> Regards,
> R.

Martin