Requiem for rhpxl

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 20:10:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 14:25 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 14:01 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > As a side effect, s-c-d will go back to being archful, since it now
> > needs to build the python RANDR binding.  Deal.  I'd like to use the gtk
> > RANDR support directly at some point though.
>
> What about one of these?

To be clear, the reason I want to call gnome's api and not something
else is because it's kind of silly to have two display connections in
the same process, one for RANDR and one for everything else.  It's also
incredibly low priority.  That said...

> http://linux.mikeasoft.com/pyrandr.php

rhpxl's pyrandr is a fork of this.

> https://launchpad.net/python-xrandr

Last mirrored into launchpad in January of last year.  This makes me
slightly nervous, but probably harmless.  Does appear to be ctypes based
rather than straight C, which is pleasant for noarch reasons.  Also has
randr 1.2 support, hooray.  Whatever we use will end up wanting 1.3
support, but at least it's less work.

> http://python-randr.dvdmeer.nl/

Very similar to the launchpad project (unsurprising, there's only so
many ways to serialize a C API).

Porting to any of these is likely approximately as much work as porting
to gnome, and would all still use a separate display connection.

- ajax