FLOSS Multimedia Support in Fedora

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 20:20:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 21:02 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le lundi 09 février 2009 à 20:47 +0100, Martin Sourada a écrit :
>
> > Yep, licensing issues are problems, but openly licensed fonts aren't
> > usually not easy to find
>
> More packagers welcome :p

Well, I was looking at packaging some TeX fonts for non-TeX usage, but I
hasn't succeeded in building the truetype version from the sources :/

> > - it's much more convenient to embed say purisa
> > into the file
>
> Just like static libs...

Well, not exactly, but yeah, in a sense it's similar. But don't forget
we need to target more platforms than fedora or *nix.

> > than requiring your users to either find it themselves and
> > install it
>
> Fedora 11 will have automatic font installation for every app that cares
> to support it.

Is it already in rawhide? If so, should I file bugs if say firefox does
not display some fonts on wikipedia title page and does not fire any
auto-installation dialog?

> > or being satisfied with a fallback font (which might not
> > satisfy the artistic concerns that led you to the choice of the original
> > font).
>
> Artistic concerns are fine and dandy but they usually sink on the legal
> and i18n icebergs. Which I think the anime crowd at least cares about.

Well, when you choose a font for a sub, you usually check if it covers
your characters usage. Legal issues are harder to solve, but at least in
fedora the fonts range is getting, thanks to your efforts, very
promising.

> BTW, we already ship fonts like Tiresias which were explicitely designed
> for video titling.

Cool, is there a (wiki) page with font previews/coverage? Or do I still
need to skim through Fonts group, install whatever seems like it would
fit my needs and than test what I installed? It would definitely be
useful for people looking for specific design/unicode coverage.

Martin

PS: maybe it would be better to forward this thread part to the -fonts
list should there be any further discussion, I am subscribed there so
you won't need to CC me.