Fedora 11 Release Notes Update

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Tue Feb 10 22:13:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 22:10 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Assuming you are human (hey, on the internet no one knows you're a
> > dog!) then it's a well-known fact in typographical circles that it is
> > uncomfortable to read lines longer than a certain width.
>
> It's worse to need to scroll through meters of web page just because
> somebody decided not to use your screen space for some arrogant "I know
> better than you" reason.

Ah, see, I'm with the typographical types here.

The eye's move up and down much more easily than they move left and
right.  And it's been proven that if you keep the text to they right
width (instead of using the whole page just because it's there) that
people take in much more of what they read.

And then there's conversations about white space, leading, etc, etc.

The point is, you can try to cram massive amounts into a small (or
large) space, or you can focus on presenting this important information
in an easy to read and absorb manner, and I'm all for that latter.

R.
 It's much better on my side"