Looking for direction on synaptics touchpad configuration tool

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 01:17:59 UTC 2009

I'm in desperate need of a Synaptics touchpad configuration tool.  I've
been without one since I started using F10 due to issues between
libsynaptics and the synaptics driver and ksynaptics/gsynaptics.

I think its time someone tackled this.  I've written a lot of C and some
C++ code, but I've never done any open source/Linux stuff.

I did a little bit of investigation and I found this:
http://qsynaptics.sourceforge.net/

I've been in discussion with the author and he is pretty open to having
someone help him.  I'm thinking that someone might be me.

What is interesting to me is that he is revising the driver to talk
directly to the Xorg synaptics driver rather than to the kernel driver
which has been subject to a lot of change.

He forwarded me some code and it looks simple enough.  But the devil is
in the details, right ?

What does everyone think of this new approach ?  Does anyone see a
problem ?

Thanks