Heads up: Noarch Subpackages

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 14:21:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:12:00AM +0100, Florian Festi wrote:
> As another solution for this problem we (ehm, Panu) will backport a check
> that will make noarch packages (both regular and noarch) fail to build if
> they contain binaries (==colored files==the right thing to do even for
> emulators, bioses, cross compilers, ...[1]). This additional check will
> be in place before koji will be updated [2].

How will this work with proprietary software authors who want to
distribute their software as RPMs?  (Or, more realistically, for
people who package up proprietary software as RPMs for ease of
installation)?

What counts as 'binary'?  What about generated code for example (may I
introduce configure scripts).

If a binary is included in the source tarball, but only used for
building or not used at all, and doesn't get propagated to the output
RPMs, does that count?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top