RFC: RPM build flags

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 21:56:04 UTC 2009

2009/2/16 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us>:
> On Monday 16 February 2009 12:42:33 pm Jon Masters wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> In the meeting on #fedora-meeting just now I discovered the i586 arch
>> changes weren't specific just to kernel but that the entire 32-bit
>> userspace is being switched to i586 instead of i386 as a default. Most
>> of that is koji (it makes builds for i586 instead of i386) but there was
>> a request to look at flags.
>>
>> Currently, we build i386 packages with the following:
>>
>> optflags: i386 %{__global_cflags} -m32 -march=i386
>> -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
>>
>> And we build i586 packages with the following:
>>
>> optflags: i586 %{__global_cflags} -m32 -march=i586
>> -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
>>
>> So the proposal is to change i586 to be in line with i386:
>>
>> optflags: i586 %{__global_cflags} -m32 -march=i586
>> -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
>>
>> While we're at it, didn't spot and/or someone else want to tweak sparc
>> build flags too? Now would be a good time to let us know :)
>>
>> Jon.
> the attached patch is what i intend to apply.
+buildarchtranslate: i686: i586
Why to downgrade i686 to i586 ? (same for athlon)

I wonder what can I use if I want my package (either within ou outside
the fedora repository) to use sse(2)  while this isn't detected at
runtime ?
Is it possible to have a target for tuning, or is there another way ?

Nicolas (kwizart)