Reconnectable X - improve desktop reliability

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 17 19:16:30 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 13:56 -0500, Chris Tyler wrote:
>
> > > It would really help Fedora reliability if the desktop could survive X
> > > crashes. It would also allow the possibility of disconnecting an X session
> > > and reconnecting it later (I know vnc and nx allow this sort of thing).
> >
> > Along the same line but perhaps more interesting than 'reconnectable' X
> > would be 'reroutable' X, where you could redirect output from a local
> > display to a projector (Star Trek: "On ViewScreen!"). This can be done
> > with proxies or double-rendering, but it would be interesting to try it
> > at the toolkit level.
>
> Indeed, shiny new features of dubious usefulness that will probably
> never be fully implemented are definitely more interesting than fixing a
> long-standing problem that affects zillions of real people.
>
> </sarcasm>

As much as I might agree about fixing long-standing problems - it seems
that in the case of volunteer time - that you don't get a choice. If
someone decides to work on reconnectable/reroutable X then they can.
Complaining about it doesn't give you any additional control over their
contribution than before.

-sv