Fedora 11 Mass Rebuild

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Feb 18 09:30:16 UTC 2009

Le Mer 18 février 2009 08:44, Conrad Meyer a écrit :

> The guidelines say that any package providing static libs needs to
> Provides: -
> static subpackages, and that packages linking with static libs at
> compile time
> need to BR the -static subpackage, not -devel (even if it's the same
> package).
> Thus any package not doing this needs to be fixed.

It took mass bug filling for people to start applying guidelines for
fonts and while the response of some packagers has been great others
have not even looked at two months later.

(Though, of course, refusing to make it a F11 feature or a review
check like -static is not helpful)

And fonts do not present only technical problems but also legal ones
(we've found *MS* fonts in the repo when we started looking!). And the
Fedora 11 font autoinstall feature depends on packagers cleaning up
their mess before release time.

(Before people affirm our font guidelines were only changed this fall,
the licensing parts have been in force for years and we've asked to
split fonts last summer. What happened in January was just a more
imperative rewording of precious policy)

So "the guidelines say so" without any enforcing effort is not effective.

--
Nicolas Mailhot