[RFC] disable OSS sound support

Lyos Gemini Norezel lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:36:36 UTC 2009

King InuYasha wrote:
> Because, a.out format is just a binary format, which is relatively
> easy to replace, while OSS is something that deals with hardware. In
> some cases (rare as it is), ALSA just doesn't work while OSS _does_
> work. A case in point, one of my desktops has a VIA board, which
> breaks horribly in ALSA with its integrated audio. However, OSS works
> fine with it. PulseAudio can output to OSS as well as ALSA, right? In
> cases like this, I usually default PulseAudio to the OSS sink instead
> of the ALSA one. ALSA isn't the end all sink solution. If we want to
> disable it, we need to be certain that everything is on par with OSS
> or better. ALSA just isn't there yet, sorry people....

What percentage (if any) of Fedora users actually *USE* hardware that
requires such archaic code?

This same blasted discussion (obsolete or not?) seems to come up every
damn year... and it's getting really fucking old.

If we must lose 5% to keep the other 95%... I say drop the 5% like hot
potatoes.

What's the point in carrying legacy cruft that should have died before
64bit came out?

What's the point in carrying code for machines only the biggest of geeks
even bother to look at?

I can, somewhat, understand still supporting Pentium 3 (and up) era
machines... but, quite frankly, anyone who still uses older machines
(older than P3)
is either ancient themselves... or in the group of insane geeks (of
whom, btw,/ *I am a member*/) who, most likely, know how to support
their old crap.

There are plenty of other distros out there whose GOAL it is to support
such archaic machines... but a distro with the stated GOAL of providing a
testbed for the latest and greatest software (and/or being a center of
development)... should not even /*ATTEMPT */to carry such cruft.

You people are utter fools to think you can support both.

Lyos Gemini Norezel